Translate

Monday, December 26, 2016

Hong Kong [2nd Post]

New Entries

Today I will only present stamps from the George VI series from 1938/1948... it presents the "simple" design adopted for Queen  Victoria and also by Queen Elizabeth....one thing You can see right from the beginning , is that the multiple CA wmk is much more visible in the lower values... in fact, the presence of chalk surfaced paper in the higher values (from the 80c until the 10$) diminish considerably the visibility without any appropriate process to see it ...
other important factor is the possible existence of many shade varieties...

there are 6  values missing ( 1c,4c,8c,15c,25c,10$) and many other varieties of each one of them... 

Let's see the stamps...



the stamps are all of the same size of course, and the discrepancy is due to the usual image bonding...In this image I show two 30c stamps , but I should have shown just one  because I've got many shades of other values that aren't presented in the image... I keep them for the next images with the spare stamps... I don't know if such thing as a "regular viewer"  exists , but some of you could be somehow troubled because I show so many spare stamps in these definitive series... Yes I show them and I keep them in the collection  because i think it is important to have as many as possible for each value , because generally in these kind of series the small detail is important and sometimes we could be surprised during our observation of the stamps...




These are the spare stamps of the values I have until 80c...despite the fact that SG only present us the 2c stamp without shade varieties, it is very obvious that we've got some more or less dark grays and some dull grays...in the 5c value we've got some dull green's , soft yellow green's and green's , but catalogs only state it as green...for the 10c , SG present us 4 varieties .. to know : bright violet, dull violet, dull reddish violet and reddish lilac...I've got here in the picture above the 4 of them and at least one more that "don't fit"...In the other hand , I don't have the 20c black but some of  the other shades of scarlet red are presented...The 30c appear in the SG catalog with two main colors and several shades : olive green and blue... only the "blues" are presented with some more or less dull blue stamps....the 50c appear as purple, bright purple, reddish purple and  deep purple...here in this image I have some of that varieties, perhaps not all of them...
it is interesting to notice that this shade differences are most notorious in the King's hair , perhaps even most than at the lined background...
A key aspect to always have in mind is that some of these shade varieties appear together with differences in the perforation... the main perforation used in this series is the 14 but  varieties as the olive green 30c or the deep purple 50c appear together with differences in the perforation or in the paper (in the 50c stamp chalk surfaced paper could be used..)


The picture above represents the spare stamps of 1$ and 2$ I have...the 1$ stamp could exist in two main color combinations: dull lilac & blue and red orange & green...a shade of yellow orange & green is also noted...in the Hong Kong stamps it is always interesting to have postmarks from particular mail stations and it is the case of the 1st and last 1$ stamps, with good postmarks...

I want to talk now about a variety known as "short leg R" that could appear in the 1$ stamps... I've got a stamp with this "strange event"  , already in the collection, but I decided to show it again, so I scanned it again, just to present now , in the right place to do it..

"Short Right Leg to R"
Normal "Dollar" Label

As you can see the right leg of the R of "Dollar" is short and somehow different from the usual one...I don't have values for this stamp because SG only show the value for MNH stamps...
well,this was a very soft view over this series, and I must remind the viewers that an expert in these stamps could write several pages about it...as a world collector , I always try to know the basic for each series , just to do a clear classification of the stamps...
In future posts regarding Hong Kong stamps I will have the remaining series of King Edward VII and George V and also updates to this and to the previous post of Hong Kong...

It is time to wish you all a Great, Great Year of 2017... I think that my next post will be already in the new Year...

SeeYou





No comments:

Post a Comment