Translate

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Romania Stamps [8th Post]

New Entries

In the end of my last post,I talked about Meddle East stamps to be part of this new post,, but with time I changed my mind... Initially I was thinking in Saudi Arabia stamps but some last minute doubts about  the presence or not of a wmk, led me to start with the classification of some more stamps from Romania ..I have a lot of Romanian stamps to choose from , so I had to focus in a well defined period of time... I then decided to show some series from 1940/1943..it is a period where King Michael I had started his 2nd reign (??!!..) that lasted for a short period of 7 years (1940/1947)  and revealed itself as a group of difficult days for Romania... 



Well,to be more precise I will start with a new arrival from the 1906 Jubilee Exhibition Series... it is a beautiful series with design and illustrations by C. Stengel... the stamps are [Typo] printed but I don't know who made the engraving work... it is a piece of information I do not have...I've got already the 40b and 50b stamps in the collection but they were never shown in the blog...





The first stamp I have to show ,from the 1940/43 period , is a commemorative of the foundation of the Iron Guard in 1927 by Corneliu Codreanu , represented in the vignette...
I could not find the other 3 stamps in my catalogs (perhaps I missed them, I don't know...[we should also notice that the label 'Romania Post' is not present in these 3 stamps...] ) but the subject is the same , with the logo of the movement and it's leader again well represented... 
1940 "13th Anniv of the Founding of the Iron Guard" (1) [Photo] Sc(B145)


The next series I have to show, commemorates the Annexation of  Transdniestria  .. after reading the wikipedia article about this region,You will see that claims and disputes over this land are very old, with the interest of several different Regional players...
The stamps issued in this period were all [Photo] printed,and to make things worst,, the printing was not one of the best...after knowing this small detail we can understand the reason why we don't know the name of the Artist that designed the stamps...in fact the name is printed at the bottom left of the stamps but the low quality of the printing don't allow us to understand it...even in the next large series , the same phenomenon happens...





1941 "Annexation of Transdniestria" (3) [Photo] Sc(517,...,519)






I am showing all these 25 stamps as part of the same series but the catalogs talk about two different series..in fact, both of them commemorate the restoration of Territories once part of Romania...These territories or provinces are Bessarabia and Bukovina.. these names are presented at the bottom center of each stamp... So, we have stamps with the label Basarabia and others with the label Bucovina... another interesting fact is that there are no repeated values, so we can merge the two series ,classifying the stamps by their increasing ' face value' ...
At the top center of each stamp,there is a a label with the name of the fortress or castle displayed in the vignette itself... these territories were retaken by Romania, during WWII 'Operation Barbarossa', where the country acted as a German Ally... 
I should say that I like much more the Bucovina stamps surely due to the Architectural style of the fortresses, because the Artist is the same (again unknown ,but present in the bottom left of the stamps.. I could not discover his or her name/[Ioan Baltag (???)])
1941 "Restoration of Bessarabia and Bukovina to Romanian control" (25) [Photo] Sc(520,...,535)(B179,...,B187)



Here we have two overprinted series of the original 1941 issue commemorating the 50th Anniv of the Carol I Foundation for Science and Art Development...these overprints are somehow related with the 25 stamps presented above... they remind us the occupation of Cernauti (Bukovina) and Chisinau (Bessarabia)  in 5 of July 1941 and 16 July 1941 respectively...
1941 "Occupation of Cernauti" (5) [Photo] Sc(B154,...,B158)
1941 "Occupation of Chisinau" (5) [Photo] Sc(B159,...,B163)


These are 3 stamps from a larger series of 8 values commemorating the Centenary of the National Artillery...we have again very poorly printed stamps, with many of the design details lost....the vignettes show us War scenes from Famous Battles of Romanian Artillery and they are identified each one by a label at the top left .
1943 "National Artillery Centenary" (8) [Photo] Sc(B224,...,B231)

I think we've reached the end of this post,but a new one will appear soon...

SeeYou





1 comment:

  1. This is totally awesome. Although variety of article on this topic,this article contains some of the precious
    points which were never be read in other articles.
    ayodhya postal code

    ReplyDelete