Translate

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Distraction

New Entries

I decided last week to do a post about the 1893/1908 series of King Carol I of Romania... I have some stamps to show, some of them new entries, but the most part of them are just new color shades...I have already presented some stamps from this group of series, so I will not enter in great details...

before starting with our main main dish , and because we are still talking of the Classical Period, I will show 7 stamps from the 1890/1894 series...




When we see stamps from this series and want to classify them, we must know:
A) there were 3 issues of the series : 1st in 1890 with Watermark[ The watermark in use is a large coat of Arms (1) ]  , the 2nd in 1891 without watermark..
B) in 1894 there was a 3rd issue with a PR(2)  Watermark instead of  the Coat of Arms (1)
C) for each one of these issues, we could have Perf 11.5, 13.5 or Mixed
D) two papers were used in the printings , differing in the Thickness and opacity ...

In this case the 10b,15b and 25b are new to the collection, but the others are from different color shades or intensities...the stamps are grouped by facial value , but they could be from any of the 3 issues (the lower Sc codes are from the 1st and the higher from the 3rd[ no stamps from this 3rd series..])... The Scott Catalog has one code for 3 possible stamps (with different perforations..)
1890/1891 "King Carol I" [Typo (Government Printing Works, Bucharest)] Sc(101,102a,96,97,105,98,106)





These are stamps from King Carol I series from 1893/1908...In this series there are 6 main designs differing mainly in the frames , ornaments , labels and numerals.. the King's portrait remains the same in all the designs..There are 5 distinct issues of this series... the first in 1893/1898, the 2nd in 1899, the 3rd and 4th in 1900 and the 5th in 1908.. 
1st Issue] with Wmk PR (2)(3) 2nd Issue] New colors : wmk PR (3) 3rd Issue] wmk with large Coat of Arms (25 stamps) : rose tinted paper in the back of the stamps 4th Issue] Without Watermark : rose tinted paper in the back of the stamps 5th Issue] No Watermark : White paper.
All the stamps presented above have wmk PR (2)(3)... again we have 3 possible perforations, 11.5,13.5 and mixed...
the first group of stamps has perf 11.5 and the rest has perf 13.5 ( no mixed perforations, this time..)..I like to highlight the two 3b stamps ,  [Red Brown and chocolate Brown][they share the same Sc code but  SG has one code for each] and the 10b of the 3rd group... if you look carefully to the stamp You will see some green ink dots where they shouldn't be...[at the middle of the right frame..] .. it is no novelty that these stamps use to have many varieties , and in the stamps I present I could focus on other of these 'strange' events, but I think this one is so clear that I must show it...the black 15b is from the 2nd issue ...
"King Carol I" Sc(119,119,122,117,117,120,120,121,124,125,126,126,131)




These are all stamps presenting no watermark... during the classification, I was always having the thought that something was missing me, because the only series with no watermark were from 1900 and 1901 , but with one small detail that continued to worry me... the stamps from that series were printed in the back with a paper rose tinted  (there was another series in 1900, with watermark and printed with this same paper...) ... well, some of these are white paper stamps..! I continued to search the catalogs and finally found in 1908 an issue with white paper... so , 3( the 2nd group)  of these 8 stamps are from this 1908 series and the others from the 1901/1903 series...
"King Carol I"  Sc(139,140,141,143,145,??,225,226) [ The Carmine Rose 10b doesn't appear in the Sc catalog , but in the SG it has the code 535)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After this brief passage through the classics,I will now show two other series from more recent days...


From 1942,the stamps represent Titu Maiorescu and they belong to a War Fund..
1942 "Prisioners of War Relief Fund" (3) [Photo] Sc(B188,...,B190)


Sorry,but this time I took a pictures of the complete series,with the stamps all together,but the highest values should be below the others...these two last series are [Photo] printed but they present a relatively good level of detail ,so I took scans with 400ppp instead of the usual 300ppp for this type of stamps...
1941 "Carol I Endowment Fund" (5) [Photo] Sc(B149,...,B153)


AS You easily noticed , this was a post with less details than the posts I use to make when dealing with these large definitive series...I have talked a little about them in other previous posts ,so this was just an excuse to classify some more ...I have yet a large quantity of Romanian stamps from the 30's and 40's so in the future many more will be shown...

If you are a regular viewer of the Blog,You noticed that  since Christmas I only made one post, and I think I own You all an explanation... I've been somehow distracted and with lack of concentration , mostly due to my new "Photoshop" that I recently bought.. it is keeping me away from the stamps, but I'm sure I will return to my standard levels...

SeeYou
  




No comments:

Post a Comment